Divorce and Dividing Property and Marital Assets in North Carolina
We have been helping Clients achieve a fair and beneficial division of assets in Equitable Distribution cases for over 15 years. So how does equitable distribution or property division work in North Carolina Divorces?
By property of course we mean assets, or “things” like:
- bank and savings accounts
- retirement accounts
- real property and real estate
- business interests
- and many other categories of assets
The division of property in separation and divorce in North Carolina is controlled by North Carolina General Statute § 50-20.
How Can North Carolina Property Division Be Settled?
The best way to deal with property division in a divorce is by Agreement early in the process. If a fair agreement can be reached, you can avoid the actual process of equitable distribution as described herein, however it is highly recommended and well worth your time to have your divorce attorney work up a preliminary division according to the laws of Equitable Distribution so you can really know what a “fair” deal is.
An experienced divorce lawyer should be able to advise you effectively after a relatively simple review of the marital estate. At the Doyle Law Group, we undertake a thorough, yet cost efficient review of the marital estate in every case so we can advise our Client what they should expect to receive according to the law, and then how best to receive it based upon our Client’s goals.
Steps to Successful Property Division of Your Marital Assets
So how does one began dealing with property division in divorce (or equitable distribution as its referred to by Statute)? While it’s never easy, Property Division can be made relatively simple by reviewing the following pages on our site which will help you break it down in a matter of moments.
- LEARN HOW EQUITABLE DISTRIBUTION WORKS. By reading the linked page you will gain quick and valuable insight into the three step process of property division in a North Carolina Divorce: (1). Identifying Marital Assets, (2). Valuing Assets, (3). Distributing those assets.
- LEARN HOW TO IDENTIFY AND VALUE MARITAL ASSETS. This page explains how to determine which assets the law would require you to include in a division and how to place a value on those assets. Also discover how to use the EQUITABLE DISTRIBUTION INVENTORY form to assist you in identifying, classifying, valuing and dividing the marital assets.
- LEARN HOW TO USE ALTERNATIVES to Court such as MEDIATION AND ARBITRATION. These methods are cost effective alternatives to Court and can provide a resolution to your case more quickly and much more cost effectively than litigation.
- LEARN HOW TO SETTLE EQUITABLE DISTRIBUTION CLAIMS once the issues are resolved either by Separation Agreement and Property Settlement Contracts or by Consent Orders.
- LEARN ABOUT HOW EQUITABLE DISTRIBUTION TRIALS WORK in the unlikely event settlement cannot be reached. Here we explain the basic trial procedure, what we have to prove, and how we do it.
Do You Need a Raleigh Divorce Attorney Who Can Ensure You Receive an Equitable Distribution of Property?
Property Division in a separation or divorce can be complicated, however we, as experienced Raleigh Equitable Distribution Attorneys, we can assist you in making the process as easy as possible and ensuring you receive a fair distribution of the marital estate.
Contact Us Today To Get the Representation You Need! – (919) 301-8843
Protecting your Privacy ~ Your privacy is our primary concern. At the Doyle Law Group, we understand the importance of protecting your privacy and will never share your contact information with a 3rd party. Contacting our law firm does not imply any form of attorney-client relationship.